Thursday, March 19, 2015

Peyton, the Running Wonder



My last marathon was the 2012 Chicago Marathon.  I had decided after that race to give my body a break from the repeated beating of training plans and long runs. I had gotten to the point where running was a drag.  The break gave me a much needed reprieve from what started to feel like forced running.



My body started to crave runs. Long runs. Short runs. Anything to feel the movement of my legs and the Earth under my feet.

And getting a dog certainly helped.


Meet the sweetest little running dog, Peyton.



This 20 pound animal has pulled my through multiple 3-5 mile runs averaging a 7:00-7:30 minute mile.  I haven’t seen that pace since high school.  I try to run with her 1-2 times a week, allowing for enough rest for her so she doesn’t get injured.





The puppy training plan has paid off.  My comfortable mile pace is between a 8:00-8:30 minute mile.  Peyton has managed to cut off an entire minute from my “easy” long run pace. (She would love to take new clients. Prepared to be exhausted and then have your face licked off).



I have never been more excited for my upcoming races as I am now that my speed runs with Peyton have paid off.  My goal of a sub-4 hour marathon is looming and I think I am going to crush it at the Chicagoland Spring Marathon on May 17.



Do you run with your dogs for training? How far does your dog run?

No comments:

Post a Comment