Sunday, May 24, 2015

Races on My Bucket List


When I don’t run, all I think about is running.  It’s an illness.  After my first DNF, I am very motivated to race again and to achieve my goals.  I’ve always thought running a race was one of the best ways to see a new city. 


Tokyo Marathon.  Did I ever mention Chris and I meet in Hiroshima, Japan? We were both on a study abroad that traveled throughout East Asia.  We went to the same college, but had yet to run into each other until this trip.  Tokyo was one of my favorite cities while out there and I would love to go back.  The people of Japan are incredible (thought very quiet to us loud Americans) and I can only imagine what a fantastic world class race they would put on.

(source)

Just look at the costumes.

(source)

Great Wall. We also traveled to the Great Wall while on our study abroad.   

Piggy backs on the Great Wall.  This is actually also how I prefer to run the race.

The Great Wall is like nothing you’ve ever seen in your whole life.  It’s breathtaking.  We only had the opportunity to walk a short section of the wall at the time. The Great Wall Marathon has been on my bucket list since I started running marathons and traveling back to China would have the added bonus of bringing back incredible memories.

(source)
Big Sur. The views.  Enough said.

(source)
Boston.  Obviously.  This one needs no explanation.

(source)

   
   NYC. I love me some big city races.  Having run Chicago, I can only imagine what the support of all the spectators feels like.  This race goes through all five boroughs and finishes after running through Central Park.

(source)
 
   Honolulu. This race is run in mid December on the gorgeous island of Hawaii.  The whole course is along the coast of Hawaii's largest island and includes views of Diamond Head and Waikiki Beach. And who doesn't want to go to Hawaii in December?


(source)

    Grandma's Marathon. Grandma's is held in Duluth, Minnesota in June.  Everything I have read about this race has been incredible. I don't think I saw one bad review.  People love everything from the organization of the race, to the spectators, to a scenic course.  It is a flat, fast course that is a great Boston qualifier!


(source)
   Eugene Marathon.  Pre's race must be on every runner's bucket list.  To walk in the footsteps of the great while being in track town, USA.  This race starts and ends at Hayward field.  Finishers rave about the course and the beauty of the city.


(source)



What races are on your bucket list?

Are you doing anything fun for Memorial Day Weekend?

6 comments:

  1. My only 100% bucket list race is Paris. It is my favorite city to visit. There are lots of other races I'd like to do but I won't be to disappointed if I never make it.

    Weather permitting (as you know it's been rainy in ILL this weekend) I'll have a easy run in the morning and then a cookout in the afternoon. Hope you have a fun memorial day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paris would be incredible! I've never been, but it is on my list of places to visit! I hope the weather held out for you to run this morning!

      Delete
  2. Our Bucket Lists are almost Identical! I haven't run any yet but I run my first marathon in October (Chicago)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to read about your training for the marathon! Chicago is a FANTASTIC first race. If I don't run, I'm hoping to be down on Michigan Ave as a spectator!

      Delete
  3. I just found your blog and I'm so happy I did! I am also an OT who works with kids and a distance runner, so it's been fun to read about your job and marathon training. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay more OTs! Pediatric OT is definitely the best. I'm so glad you found me as well!

      Delete