Sunday, May 10, 2015

Weekend Round-up and ONE WEEK TIL MARATHON!

Happy Mother's Day to all those moms out there! (and dog moms, too)

Peyton likes to be fancy for special occasions.

This weekend has been a total blur.  I can't believe it's Sunday already!

Friday when I got home I saw this out my front window:


So a run was out of the question.  It poured and it came down for a long time.  It was good timing though, as my knee was acting up on Friday.  I had pain whenever I went to stand from a sitting position and whenever I did stairs (which is frequent living in a three story townhome).  So I rested and iced instead.

Watching the Cubs is an important part of rest and recovery.


Saturday I had planned on doing Friday's run depending on how my knee felt.  It was still stiff but did feel better walking around on it.  I decided to give the run a try and turn around immediately if it was bothering me.  I don't want to risk anything at this point.  I also went on a limb and changed my shoes.  I had been thinking they were due for a replacement for a little while and my knees are often the first thing to act up when my shoes are old.  Normally I try to break in my new shoes with a few short distance runs, but I did not have much of a choice for the 11 miles planned.

As soon as I took off my knee felt WAY better.  I could feel the blood flow immediately to the sore spot and it was gone just like that.  I ran this run without music (mainly because my ipod is dead) and I didn't feel like I needed it.  Not having music allowed me to think clearly and focus on my posture, my form, and my breathing.  Changing my shoes was one of the best decisions I made all day.  The new shoes felt like little clouds on my feet.




11 miles
1:27:48
7:59/mile

2 miles easy, 8 miles race pace, 1 mile easy


 I am more and more having the bad tendency to run faster than race pace on my training runs.  I really need to learn to reel it in for the race so I don't crash and burn early on.

We had Costco take and bake pizza for dinner yesterday.  They are my absolute favorite.  I always add extras to my side of the pizza.  Yesterday I added Costco's power green blend and fresh, minced garlic.  Amazing.


 This may also end up being my dinner the night before the race as well.


Today was another marathon pace run and I was determined to hit it on target at 8 minutes miles.

10 miles
1:20:16
8:01/mile

It was wet and misty outside, but luckily there was no real rain coming down.  The limestone was nice and soft and felt great on my legs. Again, there was no music for this run and did a lot of mentally visualizing the race next week.  My legs are feeling very rested and are ready to go for my runs lately.  I'm going to take that as a good sign the taper is going well!


What are you doing for Mother's day today?

What shoe brand do you wear?

Do you like take and bake, frozen, or delivery pizza the best?

No comments:

Post a Comment