Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Back to Normal and Foam Rolling After a Run

I'm starting to feel back to normal after last week's stomach issues.  I started to keep on eye more on what I was eating to avoid any more GI discomfort. 

My rest days for my marathon training switched this week from Monday to Wednesday, so Monday was 5 easy miles with Peyton. 

5 miles with Peyton
36:52
7:22/mile

We took a lot of rest breaks yesterday during our run to allow Peyton to rest and catch her breath.  It was warmer than she was used to so every mile and a half or so we stopped and I gave her some water.

Yesterday I made one of my all time favorite recipes:  Cinnamon Crumb Banana Bread

My excellent photography skills....

If you are a fan of banana bread, definitely give this recipe a try!



Today's run:

8.14 miles
2 miles easy, 2 x 10 minutes at half marathon pace with 2 minutes active recovery, 3 miles easy
1:03:07

My legs felt surprisingly fresh for today's run.  The 2 x 10 minute pace was 6:59 and 6:50 respectively.  This workout was officially my last speed session for this training cycle

This week I am turning my focus to stretching and using my foam roller after each run. 



Using a foam roller can help prevent injury, promote recovery, and act as a deep tissue massage.   This post has 6 foam rolling exercises to complete after your run to increase circulation and promote recovery.  I tend to foam roll my IT band, quads, and piriformis primarily as these are the tightest on me.  It is recommended to foam roll before stretching as it acts to "prime the muscles."

I think between foam rolling, stretching, lots of rest, and healthy eating will help me to be as prepared and as healthy as possible in 12 days to rock my marathon!

No comments:

Post a Comment